Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Good Weekend

This past weekend I went up to New Jersey to visit one of my best friends, L. Her birthday was this past Sunday and I was definitely due for a visit. I had such a blast! But I always do with L.

Friday I left after work, so right around 4:30. This proved to be a stupid decision since I got stuck in traffic three freaking times. But luckily I still made it there in decent time and L's parent's took us out to dinner. The place was super cute and I got an awesome shrimp scampi. Mmmm.....I could go for some right now. After dinner L and I just spent the night talking and catching up.

Saturday was awesome. L took me to Atlantic City for my first time! There was SO MUCH to look at that I didn't know what to focus on, haha. And as soon as we walked into Caesars that feeling was amplified by, like, 10,000. There were so many lights and sounds and people and sparkly things that my brain was on overload. L wanted to play some penny machines so she tried her luck at one and *WOMP WOMP* no such luck. So we walked around and then I found Kitty Glitter...





Took one look and I knew this was my game. So, I sat down and put $20 in. And wouldn't you know it, I added $23.37 to that $20! So, I walked away. I didn't want to try my luck more than that.

L took me to where all the shops were and my eyeballs fell out of my head when we walked by Burberry. Have you guys seen their new Fall/Winter Line? I die. There was an older lady who had a giant Louis Vuitton shopping bag AND a Burberry shopping bag. I immediately hated her. So, L took me to Sugar to make it better. Sugar is a GIANT candy store and we went a bit crazy in there and it was awesome.

After our sugar high we had lunch on the boardwalk and played "Your Team". Plenty of prime real estate for that. Especially the guidos sitting at the table beside us. I'm sorry, but, how is it comfortable to have your hat sitting ON TOP of your head? Like, not even pulled down. How does the wind not knock it off? How does it stay on? Makes no sense....

We headed back to Caesars to finish out the day and L and I wanted to try one more time to gamble. Her luck didn't improve and the penny slots got the best of her again. I really wanted to go back to Kitty Glitter since it proved to be lucky for me. Well, just like a damn cat, it was an asshole. I lost the $20 I had won the last time. Stupid gambling. I've learned that I'm not a big gambler. I like having something to show for the money I spent. Now, had I won like $2,000 or something this opinion would be very different, haha.

Philadelphia was the next and final stop on our adventure. We stayed at a hotel right in Center City by city hall. I LOVE city hall. It's soooooooooooooooo pretty! I was super excited about our night because L always takes me to the coolest places whenever we go. And she definitely didn't disappoint.

And can I just mention that the City of Brotherly Love was being VERY loving to L and I this weekend? Haha. Got compliments out of  wazoo and everyone was just being SO nice. Definitely helped my ego a little bit. SAD GIRL STILL GOT IT!

Anyway, L and her boyfriend, T, took me to this place called The Farmers Cabinet. It was AWESOME! The drinks were delicious and the atmosphere was so neat. The jazz band they had played songs from the 1920s and it really added to the experience. I loved everything about it, so much so that it might be my new favorite bar in Philly. It's a definite must if you're ever in the area.

Next we went to a place called Perch Park or bar or something. It was your run-of-the-mill bar. We had a good time until I found a piece of glass in my drink, haha. We left promptly after that.

T unfortunately had to head home after that but L and I continued our bar crawl. She asked if I wanted to go to another place and I said "Sure! It's your birthday night so we can go wherever you want". Next thing I know she's talking to a guy outside by a stairwell and then starts going downstairs with him. She turned me around to tell me to come with and I was just like "I swear, if I didn't know you, I'd think you were trying to kill me every time we go to a bar in Philly". The last bar she took me to like this was down a creepy alley but the bar was awesome. This place was called The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company . It was a legit speakeasy during Prohibition! It was really neat and their drink menu was awesome as well. Another must in this city.

Well, last call came and went so we headed back to the hotel. We skipped dinner since lunch was so late but we were STARVING at this point. We changed and walked four blocks to a pizza place in the Gayborhood (a real place). Have you guys ever seen macaroni and cheese pizza before? I hadn't. And it looked glorious through my drunk eyes. However, L and I got a large cheese instead and made it our bitch. We ate like all but two pieces. We're so pretty.....

The next day L took me to Devil's Den for brunch. O...M....G......this place.....I can't even.....

Is that not the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? That's crab cake benedict. A frittata, crab cake, over easy eggs covered in hollandaise sauce and spicy potatoes. Excuse me while I wipe up the drool from my desk....





We rolled ourselves out of there after we finished being fatties and headed back to L's house for some birthday cake. There may or may not have been some shopping done before we made it back to the house, haha.

I had SUCH a good time and I didn't want to come home; Back to the doom and gloom and the paranoia. I think the best part of the weekend is that I wasn't worried that everyone knew who I was and was talking about me. I was a nobody and I was far away from the sad. Hell, I didn't cry at all the ENTIRE weekend until I went to bed Sunday night. *Sigh*...if only that was all the time. I can tell you this though, being in a new city really ignited my desire to move. I mean, I figured I would leave after everything settles down and I really felt ready. This trip, however, created a strong fire inside me to get the hell out of dodge as soon as I can. Now the question is....

Where do I go?